The Church of St Leonard was situated at the bottom of old Corn Street where it joined St Nicholas Street. The parish was united with St Nicholas in 1768 and St Leonard’s church was demolished in 1771 to make way for Clare Street. One of the altars was sold to Backwell Church, Somerset. The Library of St Leonards was the forerunner of the Kings Street Library, founded by Robert Redwood in 1615, the vicars being the first Librarians … and the Bristol Central Library results from this foundation1.
1. The Mediaeval Churches of Bristol by Marguerite Fedden
Approximate mediaeval parish boundary superimposed on 1901 map