Marriages 1754 – 1901December 13, 2010
Crew Lists – Port of Bristol 1863 – 1913December 13, 2010
This is the ‘most senior’ Society Project, having been started way back in about 1966, nine years before BAFHS was even formed. It was the brain-child of Ron Lewin who organised groups of volunteers to visit churchyards, mainly during the fine-weather months, and to document the information on all memorials in each location. These visits were often a day out with a picnic. The locations covered extend beyond the ‘Avon’ boundary.
All information was originally recorded only as manuscripts, kept in A4 ring binders. A spreadsheet index to the original documentation was completed by Ron in 2010 and is available in our Research Room at the Bristol Archives. There is a current project to transcribe all the records into a searchable database.
More information including details of a look-up service is available here.