St Thomas

The current building of St Thomas's church dates from 1793 though parts of it, including the tower are much older.  The 18th century Bristol historian, William Barrett reported that the mediaval church was second only to St Mary Redcliffe in side and grandeur among the city churches (a statement found repeated in a number of old history books) - he was writing at about the time that the old structure was demolished - apart from the West tower which was retain.  Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol (1884) states that several chantries were found in the old church including one for Richard II.  Some members of the Canynges family were interred wihtin ithe earlier building and "the walls are much encrusted with sepulchral memorials, but none of the inscriptions call for particular mention"!